Clys the Knees (Usually Known as Cleisthenes)
Today we began to learn about two fascinating leaders from Greek history: Peisistratus and Cleisthenes.
Peisistratus was a tyrant who ruled Athens. The word "tyrant" has negative connotations (associations) nowadays, however Peisistratus was generally considered a fair leader who helped the people of Athens.
Cleisthenes (whose name I remember by calling him Clys the Knees) was a rival of Peisistratus and one of the founders of a fantastic new form of government: democracy.
Here's the short video that I mentioned today, in which travel guide Rick Steves discusses the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and some of the other important landmarks in Athens:
Peisistratus was a tyrant who ruled Athens. The word "tyrant" has negative connotations (associations) nowadays, however Peisistratus was generally considered a fair leader who helped the people of Athens.
Cleisthenes (whose name I remember by calling him Clys the Knees) was a rival of Peisistratus and one of the founders of a fantastic new form of government: democracy.
Here's the short video that I mentioned today, in which travel guide Rick Steves discusses the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and some of the other important landmarks in Athens:

Comments
Post a Comment