Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper": What Are They Thinking?

Today we studied Leonardo's famous painting of the Last Supper.

The students analyzed the expressions and gestures of Jesus and his disciples, and they came up with theories about the thoughts each person may have been having at the moment of Jesus's announcement.



Judas

"He knows someone will betray him, but I wonder if he knows it's me. Wrong decision, Judas, wrong decision. Oh no ... now my halo is gone!" (by Nia)

"Should I really be doing this? Thirty coins is a lot of money, but is it worth another's life?" (by Bowen)

"Jesus knows it was me, and yet he says nothing. Why doesn't Jesus tell them it was me?" (by Gracie Lou)

John

"This is horrible, but I do not wish to join any violence. Jesus has always said to forgive and forget. Whoever betrayed Jesus is out of line, but I must forgive. It may be hard, but I must forgive." (by Vaya)
Peter

"If anyone lays one hand on Jesus, they are going to regret it." (by Thomas)

"Hey, hey, John, John. I bet you it was Judas. That guy is crazy, and look at that bag of money. Jesus is going to be really mad." (by Christopher)

"You know what, John?  I bet it's Thomas. He's always been so doubtful. Plus, look at the guy with the green shirt next to him. Oh, the nerve of Thomas." (by Brehanu)

Jesus

"I wonder what Peter's going to think. I hope he doesn't try to hurt anybody." (by Asher)

"I'm very disappointed that Judas is betraying me, but I know that this has to happen, and I will face it." (by Mia)

"Ugh. I knew they'd be mad, but I never expected them to start screaming at each other like animals. Poor men -- none of them will ever trust each other again." (by Sylvie)

The Disciple in Green

"How could someone ever betray Jesus? Even more so, one of his closest friends?? He is the kindest, most incredible man in the world. I wonder who it is ..." (by Lilly)

The Disciple with Both Hands Up

"It wasn't me!" (by Darrah)

"I'm innocent. I swear I'm innocent!" (by Emma)

"Who on earth would do this to Jesus?! I would do anything for him. I would die for him!" (by Howard)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance and Reformation Tweets

Islam: Muhammad and the Spider Web

#Sofia_Gets_Deep